The Body, Ageing, and Time

 Assignment 3: The Body, Ageing, and Time


 "Echoes of Play"




I titled this work, Echoes of Play to emphasize the nature of childhood toys through the ages. Each image displays a toy has been cherished by a different person in my family during their childhood, coming together to highlight a comparison of different timelines through both the physicality of aging throughout the years as well as different eras of childhood. 





I played around with the concept for this piece, originally being drawn to a comparison of musical instruments through the ages. I find that I am drawn to concepts where I can introduce aspects of my family and friends. The idea of incorporating childhood toys came to me, I wanted to have each toy held in their hands to highlight the concept of ageing, although I struggled to convince my models as well as with the size of the horse. Ultimately settling for a depiction of as many hands as I could collect.


Behind the Scenes 


Rheese & Roo  (2008)
Stuffed animal Joey (baby kangaroo) “Roo” from Winnie the Pooh - sister
Bryn & Maddie- (2003)
Stuffed animal wiener dog in memory of childhood pet “Maddie” - cousin 


Grandma Patty holding Colin’s & Goose + Quackers- (1975) 
Stuffed animal goose and duck puppets on a stick - Dad 


Shallyn & Sally- (2002) 
Baby doll named in reminiscence of mom’s “Sally Doll” - me


Heidi & Blankey- (1975) 
Baby blanket handmade by Great Grandma Temple- Mom


Grandpa Gary’s Toy Horse- (1935)
Metal ride on moving toy horse (still works) - grandpa 


The darkroom process:












Through the viewfinder:














Comments

Popular Posts